photo by kind courtesy of @atuktekt (*click the photo for details)

2014/10/18

和訳:2014.10.16付クマラスワミ報告”一部撤回”要請の拒絶に関する米NYタイムズ紙記事『戦時慰安所に関する国連報告書に対する日本の要請、拒絶される』



はじめに

今月14日、日本政府により派遣された佐藤人権人道大使が行った、クマラスワミ報告の一部撤回要請をクマラスワミ氏本人が拒否したことについて、同16日、米紙大手のニューヨークタイムズが同紙東京支局長マーティン・ファクラー紙の記事を掲載した。

ファクラー氏の記事は菅官房長官の定例記者会見での発言を主なソースに取り上げたもので、国際社会の一般認識とこれまで行われてきた論証・反証に沿って、極めて淡々とした論調で書かれていた。

記事の全訳は、次の通り。

全文

『戦時慰安所に関する国連報告書に対する日本の要請、拒絶される』
(Japan Rebuffed Over U.N. Report on Wartime Brothels)


2014年10月16日
マーティン・ファクラー著

(東京)16日に日本政府スポークスマンが発表した内容によると、旧日本軍の慰安所で女性らが強制的に働かされたとする20年近く前の国連報告書について、日本政府は一部撤回を求めたが報告書の著者によって拒否された。

政府スポークスマンの菅義秀官房長官によると、日本政府は政府高官を派遣し、元女性に対する暴力に関する国連特別報告者であるラディカ・クマラスワミ氏に直接要請を行ったという。

スリランカ出身の弁護士であるクマラスワミ氏は1996年、日本政府に対し被害女性らに対する謝罪と賠償を行うべきだとする国連報告書を作成した。同報告書によると、これらの女性は第二次世界大戦中、旧日本軍の性奴隷として働くことを強制されたという。

報告書のどの部分を撤回するよう要請したかについて、菅官房長官は明言を避けたが、クマラスワミ氏は要請を拒否したと記者団に伝えた。

安倍晋三首相率いる日本政府によるこの撤回要請は、首相の支持層である右派層の長年の要求に配慮したものだとみられる。日本では婉曲された表現で知られる”従軍慰安婦”が、旧日本軍兵士に性行為を強制されたという国際的に受け入れられた認識に、日本政府は挑戦すべきというものだ。

こうした声は、今年8月以降、急速に増え始めた。日本の大手リベラル紙の朝日新聞が、この問題について80年代と90年代に掲載した幾つかの記事を撤回するという1面告知を行ってからだ。

これら一連の掲載記事は、慰安所で働く朝鮮人女性の誘拐に関わったと主張する、元旧日本軍兵である吉田清治という人物の証言に基づいて書かれていた。

吉田氏の主張はのちに、研究者らにより捏造であると証明されている。朝日新聞もその撤回記事で、2000年に亡くなった故・吉田氏の証言を裏付ける証拠は見つからなかったことを認めている。

朝日の撤回を受けて保守派層は、性奴隷問題そのものが捏造であり、女性らは自らの意思で慰安所で働くことを選択した普通の売春婦であると主張する機会が訪れたと捉えた。

しかし、日本国内の主流の研究者の多く、そしてほとんどの国外の研究者は、吉田証言は女性が強制されたことを指し示す重要な歴史的証拠とはみなされおらず、むしろ被害女性らの証言を含めた他の証拠に依拠するとして、これらの主張を退ける。これら被害女性は90年代に入って、何十年もの沈黙を破り自らの経験を語り始めた。

主流の研究者の多くは、主にこうした被害者証言に基づき、戦時中、数万人に及ぶアジア人女性(殆どがアジア人女性だがオランダ人女性も含まれる)の多くが、その意思に反して旧日本軍の慰安所で働いていたと結論付けているが、日本の保守派層は、こうした被害女性の証言は偏見に満ち、信憑性が薄く、補強証拠に欠けると反論する。

今月初め、日本最大の保守系紙である読売新聞に掲載されたインタビュー記事でクマラスワミ氏は、朝日新聞の撤回は国連報告書の修正が必要であると納得するに足るものではないと語った。

記事の中で同氏は、報告書は「多数の慰安婦の証言」に基づいていると発言したと引用されており、さらに、国連報告書にも言及されている吉田証言は、その結論を導くに当たって大きな役割を果たさなかったという発言も引用されていた。

菅官房長官は、今後、日本政府がクマラスワミ氏の拒否を受けて更なる行動を起こすかどうかについてはとくに言及しなかった。

共同通信によれば、ニューヨークで14日、クマラスワミ氏に面会し要請を行った日本政府高官は、佐藤那人権人道大使であるとのこと。

Translation by: Office BALÉS

原文

Japan Rebuffed Over U.N. Report on Wartime Brothels

By MARTIN FACKLER
OCT. 16, 2014

TOKYO — The Japanese government has asked for the partial retraction of a nearly two-decade-old United Nations report on women forced to work in Japanese military brothels, but the report’s author has refused the request, a Japanese government spokesman said on Thursday.

The spokesman, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga, said his government sent a top diplomat to make the request personally to Radhika Coomaraswamy, a former United Nations special rapporteur on violence against women. Ms. Coomaraswamy, a Sri Lankan lawyer, wrote the 1996 report that called on Japan to apologize and pay compensation to women who the report said had been coerced into serving as sexual slaves for the Japanese Army during World War II.

Mr. Suga did not specify exactly which part of the report his government had asked to be retracted, but he said that Ms. Coomaraswamy had declined the request.

In making the request, the government of Prime Minister Shinzo Abe appeared to be heeding longstanding demands by supporters of Mr. Abe on the political right that Japan challenge the internationally accepted view that the women, known euphemistically in Japan as “comfort women,” were forced to provide sex to Japanese soldiers.

Those calls have increased sharply since August, when a major Japanese newspaper, the liberal Asahi Shimbun, printed a front-page retraction of several stories that it published on the issue in the 1980s and 1990s. Those stories were based on the testimony of a former Japanese soldier, Seiji Yoshida, who said he had helped kidnap Korean women to work in the brothels.

Mr. Yoshida’s claims were later shown by scholars to have been fabricated. In its retraction, the Asahi also admitted that it could not find evidence backing up the testimony of Mr. Yoshida, who died in 2000.

Conservatives have seized on the Asahi’s retraction to assert that the entire sex slaves issue itself is a fabrication, and that the women were no more than common prostitutes who worked in the brothels of their own accord.

However, many Japanese mainstream scholars and most non-Japanese researchers reject those claims, saying that Mr. Yoshida’s testimony was never a major piece of historical evidence that women were coerced. They cite other evidence, including the testimonies of many of the women themselves, who in the 1990s broke decades of silence to begin speaking out about their experiences.

Based largely on these testimonies, many mainstream scholars have concluded that tens of thousands of mostly Asian but also Dutch women worked in Japanese wartime brothels, many against their will. Japanese conservatives dispute that, calling the women’s testimony biased and unreliable, and citing what they call a lack of corroborating evidence.

In an interview published earlier this month with a top Japanese conservative newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, Ms. Coomaraswamy said that the Asahi’s retraction did not convince her of a need to amend the United Nations report. She was quoted as saying that the report was based mostly on the testimonies of “a large number of ‘comfort women.’ ” She was also quoted as saying that the testimony of Mr. Yoshida, which was cited in her United Nations report, did not play a big role in its conclusions.

Mr. Suga did not say if the Japanese government would take additional steps following her rejection of its request. Japan’s Kyodo News agency said the Japanese diplomat, Kuni Sato, Japan’s ambassador in charge of human rights issues, met with Ms. Coomaraswamy on Tuesday in New York to make the request.


2014/10/05

#Japan LDP Committee Resolution on #ComfortWomen and Global #InformationWarfare ( 英訳「朝日慰安婦報道に関する自民党国際情報検討委員会決議」)

ORIGINAL RESOLUTION



TRANSLATION



TRANSLATED TEXT

Committee on Reevaluation of Global Information Strategy
Headquarters for Regional Diplomatic and Economic Partnership
Liberal Democratic Party

September 19, 2014

Resolution


The Asahi Shimbun has acknowledged to have made falsified reports on the ‘comfort women’ issue. The falsified reports communicated by the Asahi Shimbun have become the basis of global media coverage that have distorted the global perception of our history and as a result have seriously impaired our nation’s reputation and our national interest.

Although the public apology made by Asahi Shimbun is far from redeeming the honor of our people and serving our national interest, the facts about the so-called “forcible recruitment” of comfort women have now been refuted, along with the alleged sexual abuses.  So the ongoing installment of comfort women statues around the world has now completely lost their ground.

In the international community Japan has consistently aspired and acted out for peace and democracy. Thus, we must act resolutely to rectify these wrongful global perceptions.

What we must do is to consistently voice our rightful position as a nation, in an all-out effort, in the seat of UN and other venues of foreign diplomacy as well as in places of international dialogue. This voice is meaningless unless it is heard adequately and accurately by the global audience.

Despite our ongoing effort to strengthen disclosure of information and outreach in the international arena, rather than taking a 'neutral' or 'defensive' position we must take a more proactive role in communicating our information so as to protect our sovereignty and our interest. We must therefore establish a solid national information strategy and at the same time be vigilant against information and developments overseas so as to respond with agility. 

As a nation, we must firmly aim towards establishing an aggressive policy to that end.

Translation by Office BALÉS

SIDENOTE:
The interim report leading up to the "Resolution" was officially delivered to the Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga on 23 June 2014  and the Committee members met with Prime Minister Shinzo Abe as well. So the government had full knowledge of the report which led up to the adoption of the September committee resolution. However, this was of course before the Asahi revelation was made.
The work of the new committee set up on 27 March 2014 was not only welcome by the member of Cabinet on 19 June 2014, including Prime Minister Abe himself and Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida, but were "encouraged to bolster their activities" by PM Abe and appreciated "for the party's strong support" on areas of concern--information warfare--by FM Kishida. Chief Cabinet Secretary Suga also commented with deep appreciation on 23 June saying, "Further effort will be most welcome!".



ORIGINAL TEXT (PDF)


平成26919

決議

自由民主党
外交・経済連携本部

国際情報検討委員会


 朝日新聞が慰安婦問題などにつき虚偽の報道であったことを認めた。朝日新聞が発信してきた虚偽の記事が国際的な情報メディアの根拠となり、国際社会が我が国歴史の認識を歪曲し、結果として我が国の評価、国益を著しく毀損した。朝日新聞の謝罪は国民の名誉と国益の回復には程遠いが、いわゆる慰安婦の「強制連行」の事実は否定され、性的虐待も否定されたので、世界各地で建設の続く慰安婦像の根拠も全く失われた。
 わが国は国際社会で一貫して平和と民主主義を希求し実践している。かかる誤った国際認識には断固として正していかなければならない。
 国連を始め全ての外交の場、また官民挙げての国際交流の中で、国としての正しい主張を訴え続けることが必要である。しかもその主張は国際社会に正確かつ十分に届かなければ全く意味がない。
 わが国は国際関係においても情報の公開や広報の充実強化に努めているが、国の主権や国益を守り抜くためには、単なる「中立」や「防御」の姿勢を改め、より積極的に情報発信を行う必要がある。国としての情報戦略を立てつつ、一方で諸外国の情報、動きを敏感に察知し国としての対応を機敏に行うことが必要である。

 国としてそのための積極的政策をしっかりと進めていかなければならない。   以上