photo by kind courtesy of @atuktekt (*click the photo for details)

2013/07/09

Greens' YOHEI MIYAKE makes a legendary "Campaign MC" on his first day of 2013 Japan Upper House Elections (Part 1/2)


Greens Japan Candidate and artist YOHEI MIYAKE makes his premier appearance in Kichichoij, Tokyo, 4 July 2013 on the first day of Japan's 2013 Upper House Elections. (video now available with English subtitles!)

More videos of YOHEI and his friend TARO YAMAMOTO now available!


[ Audience applausing after the last opening performance ]

Please give the Cro-magnon a big round of applause!

[ Audience applauses ]

I wanna keep doing the "fiesta"(matsurigoto) in the way I've always done.

Maybe wear some suits once in a while just as 'cosplay'.

In any case, I feel cramped—in this society, as well as in a suit.

The other day, I threw a fundraising party in Yamaguchi.

—imagine me doing a fundraising  party! lol

I initially even hesitated to use the word "fundraising party"—

having all those images of big people paying hundreds of dollars doin' suspicious things.

But when I started taking actions to do what I had to do—not only for myself but for others as well—

I stopped being picky about my pride, encounters and stuff. Not that I don't care but in a sense.

Because I feel really fortunate to be working hard so that you don't have to work hard any more.

I feel really fortunate to live for something like that. It's a lot of work, though.

Wow, my guitar tuning is so off....

[ He's tuning his guitar ]

Okay, let's wrap it up with "Miyake's Time".... Oh darn, I forgot this is my campaign speech today! lol

[ Audience laughs ]

[He is still tuning his guitar]

People ask me, "Why and for what are you running this election even though you are just a musician?"

But before a musician, I as a person have many thoughts in my mind about Japan in the post-311 world.

Issues like Trans-Pacific Partnership and nuclear power plants are all very important.

The stories like media being dependent and wars abandoning the people are all about US.

But before all that, things are happening right in front of my eyes.

A friend of mine who works in a nuclear power plant tells me over the phone,


"Yohei, I lost my eye sight."

Another friend in (the disaster-affected) Tohoku region says,
 "Yohei, my wife died of leukemia."

My buddy who lived here in Kichijoji had to leave for his home town because he got leukemia.

The mass media never reported about these things, but they all happened CLOSE to me.

So when anyone asks me WHY I'm running, I say—


"It'd be crazy not to make a move in a world like this!"

While I was looking at election campaigns, I realized that we can do it better.

It's really not that different from events that we organize.

Make some flyers, draw an audience, convey our messages, and persuade them to act—

are all what we've been doing until now.

It's really our SPECIALTY.

There was once a term called Saisei Icchi (meaning the unity of religion and state)

Festivities (matsuri) was originally a part of governance (matsurigoto).

I think politicians in the ancient times were those who could sing and talk well.

To reunite matsurigoto and politics, and to reclaim our politics, why don't we make a move like NOW?

[Audience applause]


I will create opportunities for you. But YOU are the ones who will do it.

I feel quite sad when someone tells me, "Break a leg!" coz I don't have any more legs to break.

I'll probably die if I try any harder.


Then who will do it? It's YOU whoever said "break a leg" to me.

People keep telling me about TPP and other matters. I respond to them by saying this:

So what can YOU do about it?

An individual has much more POWER than you think.

When you throw a party for yourself, you really get this.

There was a party at the STAR PINE'S CAFE in Kichijoji. 

[guitar plinks]

In the first hour or so, no one was dancing while the first DJ was doing his round.

Everyone stayed up against the walls and the floor had a huge vacuum.

I worked there for part-time, the owner 'Marvin' called me up

—let's say I was 20 back then—

"Hey Miyake, drink it up!" and gaves me a glass of tequila.

So on the first day of my job, I had a full glass of tequila.

I asked him, "So, how can I help you?"

'Marvin' replied, "Go down there and dance like a damn fool."

I went down and danced all out, not knowing which I was dancing, to techno, house, or else.

When I open up my eyes, I saw people coming down to the floor one by one and starting dancing WITH me.

That's when I realized what my JOB was.


I decided to always be the first to dance.

[ Audience cheers ]

A wonderful night can begin with just ONE dancer like that. That's what I learned right at that moment.

So I'll say this once again:

No need for a special pose or a spirit to 'fight'.

Just be ourselves. I'll be myself,

We believe in what we've been doin' and just face a little towards that capitol.

[ Audience cheers ]

There are a lot of information, policies, or realities that discourage us. But don't be overwhelmed.

Election isn't about "how to battle" but "how to party."

That's why I really don't like words "election fight" or "running for a campaign."

Today is not our going-to-battle ceremony. Just our sailing day.

Whether I get elected or not is a tiny by-product, a mere path leading to what is about to happen.


I warn you, I'm not gonna stop.

With anger, sorrow, laughter and joy, let's actualize what we envision.

Honestly, I don't know a whole lot 'bout it.

There're so many things I don't even know where to start.

So I will ask those old school in the Diet

[ Audience cheers as his guitar goes on calmly. ]

[ His guitar halts ]

After 3-11, me and my buds who fled and stayed in Tokyo got together to talk over a huge rift between us,


Whether to stay or to flee.

Personally, I think I've made a right decision as a father to evacuate my kid to Okinawa even for just two weeks.

But that doesn't make me judge those who stayed were wrong.

I just wanna share all of my knowledge and wisdoms about how to cope with what they got exposed to:


Do some yoga! or
Eat raw vegetables! or
Eat brown rice!

After a while, I met with them again and Theatre Groove's TAIJI SATO told me,

"Missed you so bad while you left, you know!"

So I replied,

"Was so damn worried while you stayed, you know!"

We had a real big fight back then, but in retrospect...

"I was worried!" and "I missed you!"


Hey, aren't they all about LOVE?
My god, it was LOVE!

So with LOVE I'm going to the Diet.

And with LOVE I'll squabble with the LDP big shots.

I wanna talk out.

This is what I mean by "charanke"


I'll arm myself with the very essence of our language and fight. What happens beyond that is harmony of all. Happiness. We talk through to become one.

[audience applause]

(Charanke =An Ainu term for a inter-tribal thorough dialogue to avoid a war)

There used to be a time when the word "flee" was taboo.

This is a song I wrote to my buddies in Fukushima, Miyagi, Tokyo, Gunma and Saitma—

in my kitchen in Okinawa to tell them how I really felt

[ Intro "gypsy song" ]

Journey across the ocean...Go

Journey across the ocean...Go on


Leaving the land in peace

And head to a place you never fathomed to be...Yeah

Yeah...Yeah...


But it's a place you dreamed of

Somewhere deep in your heart


The sands on the white beach

Where you stood firm

On your bare feet...Yeah

Yeah...Yeah...


And one night

When you pick up some shells

With those fingers

In the moonlight

You find the love

That fills up your heart


With a sense of openness

Let us begin our never-ending journey


It's time to embark

Embark on a journey

A journey that will continues

Until we make it to our future

Crossing all generations

Yeah... Yeah...


One day beyond time

With a sense of openness

We'll redeem our wilderness

And sow our seeds

Ah, Ah, Yeah... Yeah...


It's no different from how you feel

In the sunlight through the foliage

Believing in the breeze

That fills stardust

And how you feel it


With as sense of openness

Let us begin our never-ending journey

[ Audience cheers ]

[ interlude ]

MOVE JAPANESE ALL OVER THE WORLD!

REMOVE YOURSELF FROM MIGHTY CONTROL!

RUN! TAKE YOUR DAUGHTER!

RUN! TAKE YOUR SON!


THIS IS A GYPSY SONG!

GO FAR AWAY!

GO FAR AWAY

FROM THE RADIATION!


THIS IS A GYPSY SONG!

GO FAR AWAY!

GO FAR AWAY

TO KEEP THE GENERATION!


THIS IS A GYPSY SONG!

GO FAR AWAY!

GO FAR AWAY

FROM THE RADIATION!


THIS IS A GYPSY SONG!

GO FAR AWAY!

GO FAR AWAY

KEEP THE MOTIVATION!


TO BE YOURSELF

JUST BE YOURSELF! AH

JUST BE YOURSELF! AH

JUST BE YOURSELF! AH

AH... AH...


Grandpa, Grandma, Grandpa, Grandma

Stay alive till we are all grandpas and grandmas!


YOU'RE THE SURVIVOR EVERYBODY!

OH DA LI LA...

Grandma, Grandma, Grandpa, Grandpa,

[xxxx Inaudible xxxxx]

OH DA LI LA....

Grandpa, Grandma, Grandpa, Grandma

[ Outro]

[ Intro "Okinawan Song of Peace" ]

Whoever said

That our nation is in peace?

Our tears aren't even dry yet


Under the umbrella of America

We are still dreaming

After giving up its people

In a futile war


The blue moon is crying

There's somebody I can't forget


Let's plant the seeds of love 

To this island

To the people

Whose wounds are yet to be healed


One day we'll make them all bloom

The flowers of love

[ Outro ]

Yah Man!

The last part was a song, Heiwa No Ryuka (Okinawan Song of Peace)—written by Keisuke Kuwata of Southern All Stars.


Mr. Kuwata, please bring it at times like this!

[ Audience applauses ]

[ Intro Tracy Chapman's "Talkin' Bout a Revolution" ]

Don't you know

They're talkin' bout a revolution

It sounds like a whisper

Don't you know

They're talkin' bout a revolution

It sounds like a whisper


While they're standing in the welfare lines

Crying at the doorsteps of those armies of salvation

Wasting time in the unemployment lines

Waiting times...

Yah man, Sorry, my mistake!

Poor people gonna rise up

To get their share

Poor people gonna rise up

To get their share


Don't you know

You better run, run, run...

Don't you know

You better run, run, run...


Yes, finally the tables are starting to turn

Talkin' bout a revolution

Talkin' bout a revolution


While they're standing in the welfare lines

Crying at the doorsteps of those armies of salvation

Wasting time in the unemployment lines

Sitting around waiting for a promotion


Don't you know

They're talkin' bout a revolution

It sounds like a whisper

[Sings a part in Japanese]

Can you hear?

They started whispering

One by one like murmurs


Can you hear?

They all started whispering

One by one like ripples


Don't you know

They're talkin' bout a revolution

It sounds like a whisper


Don't you know

You better run, run, run...

Don't you know you better
Run, run, run...


Yes finally the tables are starting to turn

They're talkin' bout a revolution

Yes, finally the tables are starting to turn

They're talkin' bout a revolution

Yes, finally the tables are starting to turn


They're talkin' bout a revolution

They're talkin' bout a revolution

They're talkin' bout a revolution

They're talkin' bout a revolution

They're talkin' bout a revolution


We got Tracy Chapman!

This is about a revolution, Yah Man!

[ Audience applauses ]



Translated by NTU with an anonymous support
Adapted by "The Nomadic Transcription Unit"


9 件のコメント:

étranger さんのコメント...

Made some fixes according to suggestions made for the original Japanese text.

mp さんのコメント...


"Don't eat raw vegetables!" ではなくて
"Eat raw vegetables" だと思います。
生野菜には酵素が多く含まれており、酵素は免疫をあげるのによいとされているためだと思います。
日本語訳は訂正されているようなので、英訳もお願いします。あと、"This is a decision" の部分は ”This is a gipsy song" だと思います。

étranger さんのコメント...

mpさん、ご指摘感謝!
英訳まだ日本語に合わせて修正していませんでした。それから"this is a decision"が"this is a gypsy song"だったとは目から鱗!重ね重ね感謝です!

ハースリングス ドット 明日 さんのコメント...

とても 素敵なビデオの 翻訳、ありがとうございます。
Part 2 の 翻訳はありますか?

étranger さんのコメント...

ハースリングス ドットさん
コメントありがとうございます!
実は『書き起こし隊』の外で有志が鋭意取り組み中です。何しろPart2(後編)は名曲"Tokyo Times"が入っていて、これの英訳がとても難しいんですね。なのでPart2についても作業中なので今暫く完成をお待ちください!

Unknown さんのコメント...

There was once a time when the word "flee" was just a taboo.
の部分で"flee"は"free(自由)"が正しいようです。

étranger さんのコメント...

Shiro Nishiokaさん、その部分については原文(日本語)が「逃げる」なので、さすがに「自由」を意味する“free”にするのは意訳的すぎるかと。

étranger さんのコメント...

Entire transcript overhauled with help from an anonymous translator.

ハースリングス ドット 明日 さんのコメント...

shared @ http://www.hearthlings.us/note.html
thank you so much !